[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Arenít All Religions Basically The Same?  (Read 2484 times)

Peter

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Arenít All Religions Basically The Same?
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:34:47 PM »
 :Question_: How do I answer people who ask me if all religions aren't basically the same? They believe that all religions seek to serve the same god, but through different means.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
Re: Arenít All Religions Basically The Same?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
It's debatable. But we know that Jews, Muslims and Christians worship the same God. Seeing as how Muhammad was visited by the Archangel Gabriel, who clearly is of the Judeo-Christian belief, so we have proof all three religions worship the same God in one fashion or another. Another good point is that they are all descended from Abraham.

SavedByGrace

• Saved, By God's Grace Alone!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »
Peter,

A good way to know the differences between different religions is to see what their authority is. 

Some use the Bible only but most have other sources like,
1.   Apocrypha
2.   Koran
3.   Book of Mormon
4.   Writings of the WatchTower
5.   emotions, experiences, dreams and visions
6.   The Pope, Jim Jones Joseph Smith, Ellen White or other person
etc.

I hope that this will help

The only regret that I have is that I only have one life to live for my God.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:30:09 PM »
But we know that Jews, Muslims and Christians worship the same God. Seeing as how Muhammad was visited by the Archangel Gabriel, who clearly is of the Judeo-Christian belief, so we have proof all three religions worship the same God in one fashion or another.

The question is do they worship the same God, the obviously answer is no!

Some people claimed to come through Abraham's family, Noah's family, and before that from Adam, they do NOT worship the same God anymore than Israel Today worships the same God as Christians do. The scriptures are clear on this matter.

John 8:39-44
"They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.
Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.
Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."

Many professed Christians will say that we ALL worship the same God, the Lord Jesus Christ would differ, and His Word is the only Word that counts. Mohammad and his "holy book", Korean, obviously did not do the work of Abraham, does not glorify our God.  What you fail to understand, Doug that while its true that everyone on earth is one physical family of Adam, but God only have ONE SPIRITUAL CHILDREN, ONE PEOPLE, ONE HOLY NATION, and that is SPIRITUAL Israel.  Muslims, Hindus, etc. does not qualify!

As for what they call god, all the nations of the earth have what they call god, but God lists them as false gods, their idols false, their totem poles false, their images and towers, mosques, and temples FALSE. None of these people or nations are worshiping the same God as we do, nor did they know Jehovah in the Spiritual sense of communion or grace. Read how God describes them, because His Word is the only Word that counts! Not Korean, not gold plates, not revelations, etc.

Deuteronomy 29:16-18
"(For ye know how we have dwelt in the land of Egypt; and how we came through the nations which ye passed by;
And ye have seen their abominations, and their idols, wood and stone, silver and gold, which were among them: )
Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood; "
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

tony e

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Aren’t All Religions Basically The Same?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:00:17 AM »
A lot can be brought into this discussion, like "works" based religions, man centered, God centered, but what it really boils down to is... what is their view of Christ? Was He just a man? only a great prophet? or was He God in the flesh?

Two passages came to mind that should be considered.
IMO, one of the best is in Exodus 32, specifically, when the Israelite's tried to worship Yahweh through the means of a golden calf...(you are familiar with how that went, right?)
Exodus 32:4,  And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods [Elohim], O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
Exodus 32:5, And when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said, To morrow is a feast to the LORD [Yahweh].
They made Yahweh into an image of a calf, saying this is the God that brought us out of Egypt, and then worshiped it.

The second passage is in John 8:24, "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins." KJV underlining mine
This of course is Jesus claiming deity, referencing Exodus 3:14, "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."
It is  made clear that Jesus was claiming deity in John 8 by looking at verse 58 and the Jewish response.
Does any other religion make such a claim? If they deny it, we have Jesus's own words claiming they shall die in their sins.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:41:46 AM »
Additionally, this ties into the character of each god. All religions are not the same, nor do we all have one father or worship one God. Jesus made that plain when he said to the rebellious Jews that God was not their father, their father is the devil.

Joh 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
 43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

That proves once and for all that the Jewish religion is not the same as the Christian one, neither is their God the God Christians serve.

For a good understanding of the difference in religions, see Tony Warren's article where he says it quite succinctly. The difference is that "no other religion effectively answers the sin question."

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/bible/there-is-only-one-savior.shtml

Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Ro 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Since we all sin, and the wages of sin is death, how is man going to stand before God? Will it be in his sin, or in the righteousness of Christ. Only one way and only one Savior. No other religion makes provision for standing before a holy God.

Peter

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:46:51 AM »
Thank you all for giving such good answers to my question. It always amazes me when I hear christians say that all religions are the same or that we all worship the same god. The last three Presidents have basically said the same thing, both democrats and Republicans. I just find that hard to swallow.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:21:59 AM »

My view is that all religionsd are not the same. When we ask "How is Christianity any different than other religions," I think many of you have it right on the mark. The main distinctive of Christianity is that we serve a God that does not depend upon us or our good works to justify ourselves before him. God in his mercy freely provided a way for us to be in a right relationship with Him. This is in contrast to all other religions where people vainly seek to attain righteousness by their own works, or reach God and earn their own salvation by doing things they think God will favor, such as refraining from bad behavior. This is the only religion where God does it all, but only for those he freely chooses.

Hammerle Labinowic

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »

Aren't all religions basically the same?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aiia/religionssame.html

There are "NOT" Many ways to God.

Peter

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »
 &TY

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]